Turn Up The Volume (Oats)
It’s February! I love a new month. It’s sort of a crazy thing about me.
The goals I made for 2011 in general were very broad, so I’m going to make monthly, short term goals instead that will help me keep my head on straight!
1) Drink 6 glasses of water every day. I never drink enough water. It’s not that I don’t like water, I just always forget to drink it! Haha.
2) Be active for at least 30 minutes every day. This could be bike riding, elliptical, a workout video, yoga, anything! My problem is, if I miss a workout in the morning, I tend to stay completely sedentary for the rest of the day.
3) Eat one. As you know, I loooove baking. I always bake stuff, then eat about 3+ servings which is waaaay too much. Then I restrict my eating the next day, then I binge. It’s a horrible horrible cycle, but I’m going to beat it this month! When I bake, I will only eat one. They will still be there tomorrow!
4) Start doing yoga. This is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. I just put Jillian Michael’s Yoga Meltdown in our Netflix, so I’ll be getting it in a few days! Can’t wait to get started. I’ll probably experiment with lots of yoga DVDs from Netflix and see what I like.
So, these are my goals for this month!
My mom has announced to me that she wants to go on the “Kayla Diet”. Everything I eat, she will eat now, too. She has weight to lose and has said that if I can help her lose 20 lbs. we’ll go celebrate with a day at the salon (!!) or maybe even a trip to Whole Foods!!!
To start the month off right with my mom’s new plan, we went to the gym and did a little hodge podge of things.
- 15 minutes of ab work on the machines
- 5 minutes on the StairMaster
- and 20 minutes on the elliptical
Then we came home and had a sugar-free breakfast. (It is the first day of Sugar-Free week, did you remember?)
I prepped our oatmeal last night, using Kristi’s How-To.
This was probably the BIGGEST and most FILLING bowl of oatmeal I’ve ever had! This mug is absolutely humongous and look how well it held the oatsl!
It was my first time having Raw Almond Butter, it wasn’t bad, but I think roasted > raw!
The mixture of pumpkin, egg whites, chia and water made the oats super VOLUMIOUS! I loved it, even my mom who isn’t really into oatmeal loved it! She kept saying, “This is huge. I won’t be hungry for lunch!”. In fact it’s 2:10pm and we still aren’t hungry!
My mom was a bit concerned with the carb content of our breakfast. “I shouldn’t be eating carbs if I’m trying to lose weight” she said.
I informed her that in all the health, diet and nutrition info I’ve read, it’s never said to cut out carbs. When you cut out carbs, you will lose weight, but it is water weight and will come back when you start eating carbs again. You can’t avoid carbs your whole life!
I told her that we will be eating healthy carbs like oatmeal, whole grain bread, quinoa, whole wheat pasta and fruit. And that she shouldn’t worry about eating carbs, but worry about how much she is eating. Like everything, you have to eat carbs in moderation.
Am I right about this?
One more thing:
I have been on a bit of a break and haven’t signed up for any more online high school classes since I finished my last ones in December. But that has changed and I am now signed up and taking Biology and Algebra 2 online. It’s nice to be back to doing schoolwork. Kind of…
What are your plans for February?