Protein Packed Smoothie and Hummus Egg Salad
For breakfast today I had a wonderfully filling smoothie that I managed to chug down even though it was freezing outside!
Protein Packed Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
from SELF magazine
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 cup pumpkin
- 1 banana
- cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger to taste
- 5 ice cubes
- 1/4 t. vanilla extract *
- dash of salt *
* optional, wasn’t in recipe from SELF, but I added it to add more flavor!
Blend all together until thick, creamy and smooth! Like a milkshake!
This smoothie has 18+ grams of protein and it is super filling and yummy!
I’m pretty sure I have a hummus addiction! The stuff is just too good! I can’t wait til I can find some tahini (sesame seed butter/paste) and make some of my own in the Vitamix, but until then I’ll settle with Sabra’s hummus!
So today I made an egg salad sandwich for lunch. Which is funny because my mom used to make egg salad all the time and I wouldn’t eat it, I thought it smelled bad. But now I love it! Of course, my mom’s egg salad was full of mayo, but my recipe is pretty healthy and I think it tastes better!
Hummus Egg Salad Sandwich
makes 1 serving
Combine in a bowl:
- 1 hard-boiled egg + 1 hard-boiled egg white, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 (heaping) Tbsp. spinach and artichoke hummus
- a little dash of Hot Sweet mustard
Spread on 100% whole wheat bread with some tomato and spinach and you’ve got a perfect little sandwich!
Seriously, this is so good!